Nia Cardio Dance
"Nia is a fitness odyssey" The New York Times
Nia Cardio Dance is a workout based on the intelligent design of the body. Each 60 -minute class combines music from different genres with 52 simple moves.
Nia is adaptable to every age, fitness level and ability. It's hard to believe you can get such a thorough workout in your bare feet! You can also follow along while sitting in a chair.
Nia was founded by Debbie Rosas, (left), and Carlos AyasRosas of Portland, Oregon in 1983. Today, it's taught by licensed teachers in 45 countries around the world.
I've taught Nia Cardio Dance in schools, community centers and Zena Studio since 1998.
Nia choreography is based in nine movement forms, (right). I've studied all of them through different masters. What I love most about teaching Nia is you can get much of the yang, energizing benefit of martial arts without having to immerse yourself in that world.
Nia is a terrific form of expression. After all these years I still find it inspiring. Like yoga, in that I can always learn something new and push myself.
Read Nia Raves from my students.
The 9 Movement Forms of Nia
1. Jazz - fun, showmanship, expression
2. Modern - emotions, creating shapes in space
3. Duncan - free-spirited, honest and personal movement
4. Tae Kwon Do - precision and yang energy
5. Tai Chi - Chinese yoga, slow moving
6. Aikido - circular motion and yin energy
7. Yoga - alignment of bones and joints
8. Feldenkrais - awareness of sensation
9. Alexander Technique - learning to move from the top down
"This lyrical, dance-like routine is deceptively powerful, delivering a high-powered workout that will leave you strong and centered."